Dóchas na nGael - A Hope for the Irish Language
Lucan Community College
A petition to change the curriculum for the Irish Language at primary and secondary school level. Here is a breakdown of what we hope to achieve:
- [ ] Change in the Primary school Irish curriculum
- Assigned teachers teach Irish to all classes so all students enter first year at similar level of Irish
- More emphasis on conversational Irish
- More class time in Irish
- So that students would be able to speak and converse (as best as they can) in relation to topics within the curriculum by the time they leave school
- This level should be achieved by putting complete emphasis on the spoken language. Perhaps sport and music could be taught only through the medium of Irish.
- There should be an option of either having a fluent teacher facilitating the conversational aspect of the class or having the Educational institutions reviewing how they're providing training in language methodology.
- [ ] Change in the secondary school Irish curriculum:
- Junior students and Senior Students would complete a compulsory course and Senior Students would then have an option to complete another course:
1) From 1st year - 6th Year a basic Irish course with emphasis on the oral/aural and understanding aspects of the language with gradual introduction of reading and writing.
2) Optional Subject Course focusing on Gaelic literature and poetry at leaving cert level
- Interactive learning: Video clips, Music, Sport
- Use of interactive apps such as one like OIDE - Coláiste Lurgan