David Lloyd Hampton - Keep Squash Alive!
Don’t let squash die! Stop two of our squash courts being converted to a Blaze Studio
Last month the squash community at David Lloyd Hampton were informed that two of the four squash courts will be permanently removed and replaced with a 'Blaze' fitness studio on 29th August, 2018. The purpose of this petition is to ask David Lloyd Management to re-consider this decision which will serve to destroy squash at the club almost overnight.
The loss of two squash courts will result in competitive squash no longer being viable at the club. There are four teams playing in the Surrey league all year round and the courts are often used to host several County squash matches hosting teams from other parts of the UK. The loss of half the courts will result in insufficient capacity for competitive squash to continue in any realistic shape or form at the club.
There are an estimated 80 David Lloyd active squash playing members, several of whom play squash at a county, national and international level. This is as well as casual players and the tennis section who use the courts to teach children basic racquets skills when the weather is poor and the tennis courts outside unplayable. We have three men’s team and one ladies team - most of whom will leave the club.
While there is no question ‘Blaze’ may be a good form of cardiovascular activity, here is a reminder why squash is such a great sport:
1. Boosts cardiovascular health
2. Improves hand-eye coordination
3. Develops agility
4. Ensures mental well-being
5. Helps cultivate social skills – friends via squash are often friends for life!
David Lloyd Hampton is:
- A flagship club - 2nd only to DL Chelsea. So lots of other members from around the county come to it
- We have 4 beautiful glass backed squash courts - very visible immediately from reception, swimming area and from the bar area
- Peter Marshall and Rodney Durbach have visited our club, and just said “Wow”, because the squash courts are so nice and visible
- We have a very active club night on Thursdays, generally for intermediates and beginners - with all 4 courts being over utilised - sometimes 3 or 4 players to each court playing ¾ court due to the demand; along with regular junior, ladies and team coaching sessions
- We have several teams in the Surrey leagues, and many internal box leagues.
- We have hosted ladies, and ladies O40 county matches, with very favourable feedback from the other counties. Worcestershire in particular commented how impressed they were
2 courts is simply not enough - we need at least 3, if not 4 courts. It will be such a shame to see these 2 courts be removed. We love our club at its facilities, please do not destroy them along with the enjoyment and involvement from 100's of squash court users.
Whether you are a David Lloyd Hampton squash player or not, please show your support by signing this petition to respectfully ask David Lloyd management to find an alternative to the removal of two courts.