Support the Assistance League
We, the undersigned, are submitting this letter in full support of the zoning approvals of the existing variances for off site parking and setbacks necessary to allow Citizens of the World Charter Schools Los Angeles to re-use the property at 5620 De Longpre Ave, Los Angeles, for a public charter school for grades K – 8, as approved on July 17, 2013, by the Zoning Administrator, following a noticed public hearing, in Case No. ZA-2012-3201-ZV-ZAA.
The 5620 De Longpre Ave property is a beautiful facility beyond what all of us could have hoped for when we enrolled our children in CWCLA schools. It was built in 1996 (so it’s fairly new) and is in phenomenal shape and has the core facilities that are typically the most expensive to build. In addition to having 6 ready-to-go classrooms and 3 more rooms that can easily be converted to classrooms, it also has a beautiful gymnasium with a stage and sound room, a pool, full locker rooms, some outdoor space and a commercial kitchen.
A few things to consider:
• The Hollywood Studio District Neighborhood Council supported the CWCSL’s school use of the site.
• The site was previously operated for many years by the Assistance League as a kindergarten and day care center. It had a licensed capacity for up to 249 children while CWCSL can only have a student count of no more than 216 students. The proposed use is consistent with this historical use.
• School use is allowed by right on this property under its zoning.
• No interior improvements are needed.
• The school will be adhering to a stringent TDM (traffic demand management) plan and other requirements set forth in the Zoning Administrator’s approval.
We ask you to please take action in support of CWC and uphold the zoning action to allow CWC to operate at 5620 De Longpre Ave.