Open a Venue at Cal Poly Pomona
Cal Poly Pomona is a university overflowing with talented students with an interest in music and arts, however currently there are very few venues on campus available to showcase this student creativity. Venues such as the Music Recital Hall and the University Theater are not easily accessible to students looking to showcase their own projects as a result of those facilities’ vital role in providing rehearsal and performance space for academic classes and ensembles. Furthermore, the Kellogg Gallery is dedicated to bringing diverse and multicultural exhibitions to campus, leaving little room for student art. In addition to this, student life on the weekends has been lacking. By presenting another form of entertainment, students living on campus will have more reason to stay on the weekends and create a point of interest for Cal Poly Pomona.
An interdisciplinary group of students is now in the process of trying to secure a space that will provide for a venue for this purpose, called the Music and Arts Coalition of Cal Poly Pomona. The Music and Arts Coalition of Cal Poly Pomona will focus on arts and music education for underserved students of the greater Pomona area. Additionally, the space will be dedicated to providing a safe and comfortable space for art, dance, and music projects for the Cal Poly community. Finally, this coalition will allow Cal Poly students a place to fulfill the Cal Poly “learn-by-doing” philosophy, putting music making, arts management, marketing, and music and arts education into action.
The space will:
- Provide opportunities to “learn by doing”
- Provide a community social environment, even on weekends.
- Offer a forum for new ideas and artistic thought.
- Be a welcoming “safe space” for students of any background, walk of life or affiliation.
- Help students experience working in a real-life, interdisciplinary environment.
- Incubate cross-disciplinary activities.
- Be a unifying collective that can bring the entire campus and student body together.
- Help move Cal Poly away from being a “commuter” school to a “community” school.
- Encourage future generations to be involved in arts and music.
As we move forward in securing a location, we need community support to show the university that we need this venue! Please sign and share this petition to encourage the growth of the student creative community on campus!