Convert Taxi rank, Station Rd Wellington to a Delivery/Collection Point.
We, the undersigned respectfully request the Borough Council of Telford & Wrekin, reassign theTaxi rank (we believe it is now disused), in Station Road, Wellington, to a Delivery/Courier parking area for picking up and dropping off of vital stock from Wellington Town Centre businesses.
We, local residents, interested 3rd parties Members of the Wellington Action Group (WAG - https://www.facebook.com/groups/WellingtonActionGroup/), support the local traders in their need for stock movement and other delivery items, but also support the need of traffic free-flowing through streets.
The street is often congested because the main area is now ring-fenced with pedestrianisation. This causes issues for trader, customer and delivery services alike. Lack of parking is seen as choking the life out of the Town of Wellington.
A simple 3 point solution we put forward for serious consideration is:
A) The conversion of the aforementioned taxi rank/parking area. There is still ample area further along Station Rd and an access road to the rear car park behind the Station itself if a taxi needs to drop off or pick up anyone. This area also provides a good turning circle outside the hotel and station entrance. (A on image)
B) The opening of the restricted access bollards on the front end of the Market Square before 8:30am to allow traders and delivery persons access. (B on image)
C) The opening of the restricted access bollards on Espley Close and at the top end of Town on the Victoria Rd end before 8:30 am. (C1 & C2 on image)
The benefits will be:
- ACCESS to stock for Traders both in and out of Wellington, made easier.
- SAFER access for the consumers visiting and reduction in the possible danger of a traffic accident.
- LESS congestion on the bottle neck areas such as the corner of Church St and Market St.
- A FREE-FLOW of commercial traffic early in the day.
- LESS instances of vans parking on pavements and restricting pedestrian access.
- LESS instances of vans parking in the disabled area opposite the old HSBC bank.
- LESS need for parking ticket issuing, if a sensible area is provided for vans to access and turn around.
- SAFER movement through the town of delivery vehicles that are often hurrying due to timed delivery quota's.
- LESS complaints to the Council regarding this issue.
(Image source: Google Maps 2016 http://bit.ly/2fFEu4H)