Commercial Gravel Trucks - S Section Line Road Safety
Ohio Department of Transportation
WHEREAS, large commercial gravel and concrete trucks routinely travel along South Section Line Rd at high rates of speed between Home Rd and Hyatts Rd, often exceeding 60 mph.
WHEREAS, on weekdays the commercial truck traffic is between 500 and 1000 trucks per day starting as early as 5:30 AM.
WHEREAS, there are many passenger cars and motorcycles that also significantly exceed the current 45 mph speed limit.
WHEREAS, there are many hills on South Section Line Rd just north of the Home Rd traffic circle and this presents a safety concern and a high probability of fatal accidents.
WHEREAS, the large commercial gravel and concrete trucks create a noise nuisance with audible property line noise levels reaching 80 decibels.
WHEREAS, Concord Township has a Noise Ordinance Resolution (# 102804) passed Oct 28, 2004 that “unnecessary noise in residential areas of this township constitutes a public nuisance.”
WHEREAS, there are alternative routes that large commercial trucks can take, namely Route 42 and Route 36, that are more suited to this type of traffic.
We the residents along and adjacent to Section Line Rd, between Home Rd and Hyatts Road do hereby petition Concord Township, Delaware County and ODOT to:
- Pass an ordinance preventing large trucks from using the portion of South Section Line between Home Rd and Hyatts Rd with appropriate penalties and fines for violation.
- Install speed bumps and/or rumble strips to physically slow down the speed of the large trucks.
- Install signage displaying “No Commercial Trucks” or “No Commercial Vehicles.”
- Lower the speed limit from 45 mph to 25 mph in the hilly portion of South Section Line Rd that is just North of the Home Rd traffic circle.
- Install for a period of 1 year a speed-measuring device that displays the actual speed of vehicles.