Coach change for 2022 MHS Girls Varsity Soccer Team
Parents and players are seeking to remove Coach Rick Morgan from his position as head coach of the Merrimack High School’s Girls Varsity Soccer team. We are genuinely concerned about the impact Rick’s coaching style has on our young ladies as well as the future of the program under his leadership. There have been countless voices over the years expressing the same concerns but those have been ignored. We are encouraging parents, students and community members in the Merrimack High School district to sign in support of hiring a new head women’s soccer coach for the 2022-2023 school year. Reasons for removing Rick Morgan:
- Rick’s treatment of his players is based solely on fear and intimidation.
- Rick has targeted players using bully-like behavior including mind games, yelling, intimidation and threats, passive-aggressive behavior, singled out players and made “examples of” them during practices, made players sit on the sidelines as punishment like toddlers and made nasty comments during practice and games when players make mistakes.
- More than one player has suffered mental issues/depression due to the Rick’s tactics. Rick has abused his power and young self-esteem is being damaged as a result.
- Rick violates the Coach Code of Ethics guidelines that the school board and administrators have set for all coaching staff.
- Players have quit the program due to his tactics and even more potential players will not go out for soccer because of his reputation.
-Rick has remained as a coach despite consistent complaints by parents and players through the years.
-Rick’s behavior has had the effect of a classic abuse situation – players are afraid to tell for fear of additional punishment or worse treatment- and parents who do find out hesitate to speak up because previous complaints have gone nowhere, and they do not want to make the situation worse for their daughters and/or their siblings..
PLEASE add your thoughts in the comments section if you feel you have something to add.