CLOSE DOWN/RELOCATE GAS PLANT AT MELEKWE STREET
We the undersigned, who are old students of Marymount College Boji Boji Owa, Ika North East, Delta State Agbor in Nigeria and abroad, parents and family members of present students, members of staff and concerned citizens of Nigeria, strongly oppose the construction of a gas plant at Melekwe street directly behind St Cecilia's hostel in Marymount College. We request that the plant be CLOSED DOWN/RELOCATED IMMEDIATELY for the following reasons:
- A gas plant at this location has been and is still a SERIOUS HEALTH HAZARD to Marymount College students and members of staff as well as inhabitants of nearby properties.
- This gas plant has caused SERIOUS HEALTH & ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARD.
- Already, several students have developed serious negative neurological symptoms, which has led to hospitalization of some and one death recorded.
- The gas plant is located in a residential area, which means that in the event of an explosion the consequences will be disastrous. We do not want another incident of a gas-related explosion in Agbor.
- The gas plant location was never approved by NUPRC (Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission).
By this petition we request all relevant authorities to carry out thorough investigations into the aforementioned allegations and that the gas plant be closed down/relocated.We also demand that the aforementioned gas company and its directors/owners pay compensation and damages to the school whose image and reputation has been negatively affected as a result of the death of a student and the families of the affected students.