Cloquet Dog Park
Cloquet Dog Park
We’re looking to establish a dog park for the enjoyment of the residents of Cloquet and our well-behaved canine friends. We’d like this to be:
- A safe place where dogs can be off-leash without fear of danger from vehicles and without posing a nuisance to people, pets or wildlife.
- A learning place where dogs go to run and play with other dogs, gaining social confidence and becoming more comfortable around other dogs.
- An exercise place where dogs can run and play at their own speed, which may be faster than their owner can run!
- A clean, attractive environment, fitting in with the natural beauty of Cloquet’s parks.
- A place where all friends of dogs can gather in a pleasant, fun way to enjoy the freedom and joy of dogs playing off-leash.
- A convenient resource for Cloquet residents and visitors alike, right within the city limits of Cloquet.
Therefore, we’re asking for a showing of public support for a dog park because it would:
1. Provide a legal place within the city of Cloquet for dogs to play off-leash.
2. Give dog owners a designated space for dogs to run and play, instead of using other park and public spaces less suitable for dogs.
3. Allow families additional quality time with their dogs.
4. Help keep dogs safe from danger of vehicles and wildlife.
5. Let dogs socialize, becoming more comfortable and less fearful or aggressive around other dogs.
6. Create a space for dogs to exercise freely, regardless of the limitations of their owners.
7. Be an attraction local to our community, and even a draw for visitors.
According to the 2017 report from the US Trust for Public Land, off-leash dog parks are the fastest growing type of park in America. Dog parks are simple and cost effective, and can typically be established for a fraction of the cost of playgrounds or other recreational areas. Cloquet residents who currently wish to let their dog off-leash either risk violating city code (Section 8.2.06) or are required to travel to the closest parks, which are in Duluth:
Keene Creek Park, 16 miles away
Observation Park, 20 miles away
Jean Duluth Park, 29 miles away
Please help the City of Cloquet recognize the community’s desire for a local dog park. Thank you!