Breakfast in the Classroom program at CPS
I applaud the Chicago Board of Education's efforts to ensure that no child goes hungry with its current free before-school breakfast program. However, I believe that the Breakfast in the Classroom policy (11-0126-P01 adopted January 26, 2011) is not the right solution.
Here are some of my concerns:
- It would endanger children who have food allergies -- either diagnosed or undiagnosed.
- It would cut into instructional time.
- It creates waste, both in terms of food and food packaging.
- It might lead to overeating (and perhaps obesity) in kids who already eat breakfast at home.
- It would create unsanitary conditions and might lead to a greater pest-control problem.
- It takes the choice of what to feed children away from their parents.