Change for BA2 Architecture Students
BA2 students at Leicester School of Architecture petition for change.
- Second year students are no longer allowed in studio at weekends as Raymond Quek has decided to take away our studio privileges for no apparent reason.
- As a result of this, we have a total of 15 CAD installed computers in the library for not only architecture students, but all other design related courses to use. Thus the chance of us getting a computer in the library is very unlikely. Even if we do get a computer in the library, the software is not licensed to render so we are unable to complete necessary work.
- The lack of lectures/ contact time we have had this term has been appalling. It averages between 20-40 minutes per week (depending on tutor group). This is clearly not worth the £9,000 that we pay.
- The printing equipment we currently have is temperamental and unreliable. This means that many students pay extra money to print outside of university.
- The recent technology submission was completely unnecessary at A2. The majority of students spent between £50- £90 on printing then to be told that they would accept it at A3. This was infuriating as we had just wasted time and money printing and it was incredibly stressful trying to print at A2 on time.
- As for our Urban Studies module, we have not be told any information about what/when our assignment is.
- One of the main reasons why many architecture students picked LSA is because of the promise of individual desks and a 24/7 studio. This promise has never been followed though and we want to know if it ever will be
- We have heard about the disaster that the third years have had with dissertations. We need a guarantee that dissertations will be run differently for our year otherwise our grades could suffer as a consequence
- It is university policy that we receive feedback from assignments within 2 weeks of hand in. We are yet to get our mark on projects we did in 2015.
- Lastly, we have been kept in the dark as to what the studio arrangements are for next year. The current rumour is that the building will be shut down at 9pm every day. If this is the case, it is completely unacceptable and could potentially affect our degree as a result.
All of the above points need to be addressed and our questions need to be answered. Please sign this petition if you agree so our complaints will be taken seriously.
Many thanks, Lissy.