Change at Strafford School
There are many schools of thought in the world, different humans from all walks of life. Public school is for teaching math, reading, science, social studies and history. Teachers serve children and the community. Their jobs are to teach the children knowledge and critical thinking skills.
At Strafford school, there has been an ever growing presence of teaching personal opinions, such as allowing opinions on social justice and politics to be repeatedly lectured on and preached in class. Not all teachers in Strafford school do this but there are a select few. The number seems to grow each year. For the same reason that we don’t allow personal religious beliefs to be preached in class, we cannot allow personal politics and social justice opinions in class. Critical thinking cannot be taught if a teacher stifles free thought or expression of ideas because they have a personal agenda.
Unprofessionalism has increased at the school. We now live in a world where everything is out in the open and children do not cower to teachers. The environment of today allows children to freely express to parents just how they are treated in school. Teachers calling children names, telling children not to bother them because they don’t want to teach that day, and teachers degrading the self esteem of children is no longer tolerated.
There have been many complaints to the administration of Strafford school, mainly the principal, for various reasons over the course of the year but no action is ever taken or resolution is obtained.
The value of the education has decreased significantly over the last many years and we parents strongly believe that the environment of Strafford school is a contributing factor. Strafford school is rated #120 in the NH school rankings where we used to be in the top 25 consistently.
What do we hope to gain from this petition?
1) We hope that Strafford school can get back to teaching our children math, English, science, social studies and history in a way to be competitive educationally with other children their age.
2) We hope that Strafford school can become a place where teachers love on their students and help them find their own voice in this world.
3) We hope to have students gain confidence rather than be fearful that they won’t be accepted by teachers.
4) We hope to improve the character and environment of Strafford school.
5) Strafford school needs to stand up for our children and not allow unions to force bad teachers to remain in the school.
Sincerely, The parents of the Strafford Community.