Change and Update MEC Electronic Key Access
MEC PSC Petition For Greater Access to Offices Using the New Electronic Key System
We, the members of the Medgar Evers College/CUNY Professional Staff Congress (PSC) ask for specific changes from the Office of Campus Safety (Campus Safety) with regard to security policies concerning the use of electronic keys that allow staff and faculty to access their individual offices and work spaces.
We note the following as fact:
Where as, in at least three separate meetings, members of the PSC have met with the President and Chief of Security to discuss and resolve issues related to electronic key access; and
Where as, at each of these meetings it was expressed by the Chief of Security that access to offices would be extended and individual office access would be updated and extended; and
Where as, to date, no such changes and no such action has been taken to lengthen the time for accessing departmental or individual offices:
Therefore, we the undersigned, request immediate redress as follows:
1.Campus Safety staff must meet, plan and implement change to address above-described issues;
- 2.Campus Safety must reset the timing of the keys to allow staff and faculty to access their offices during “off-hours” since workflow commitments create situations where access to our offices is vital to work and teaching commitments;
- 3.We recommend that key updating be reset to ninety-days from its current setting of fourteen days;
- 4.Department and individual office access should be set from 7am until midnight each day. Currently, keys are set to open doors on campus from 8am until 11pm;
- 5.Faculty and staff needing weekend access to their departments and individual offices should have their keys coded to allow for such access; and
- 6.We would like to see said changes occur, and access updated, by no later than Friday, November 15, 2015
Members of the PSC understand and acknowledge that a safe and secure campus is in everyone’s best interest. This petition should be seen as part of the open and transparent process to rectify issues on campus safety as they arise.