Call for Kauai County to Remove Face Mask Requirement
According to the new Mayoral Proclamation, Emergency Rule #6 (04/13/2020) (http://kauai.gov/Portals/0/Civil_Defense/Emergency%20Proclamations/Mayor%27s%20Emergency%20Rule%20%236%2020200413.pdf), all people on Kauai over the age of 5 are required to wear face masks with few exceptions. The proclamation specifically states that people should NOT wear N95 or surgical masks unless they are front line workers. Further, the proclamation encourages homemade masks that are made of cloth, but does not specify construction, use and care.
Additionally, in his video address, Mayor Derek Kawakami, states that "my mask protects you, and your mask protects me". This mantra is not based in science, and is not found ANYWHERE on any health official website. In fact, this mantra is completely inaccurate according to the NIH: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4420971/ "Penetration of cloth masks by [influenza-like illness (ILI)] particles was almost 97%" That means, if I am ill with an influenza-like illness (ILI), and I sneeze through a cloth mask, more than 97% of the ILI particles would get through my cloth mask. ****CLOTH MASKS ARE INEFFECTIVE WHEN IT COMES TO ILI PARTICLES!****
Additionally, according to this document published by the WHO (World Health Organization) https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/331693/WHO-2019-nCov-IPC_Masks-2020.3-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- "Advice to decision makers on the use of masks for healthy people in community settings: ...the wide use of masks by healthy people in the community setting is NOT SUPPORTED by current evidence and carries uncertainties and critical risks."
- “One study that evaluated the use of cloth masks in a health care facility found that health care workers using cotton cloth masks were at INCREASED RISK OF INFECTION compared with those who wore medical masks”
- if nonmedical masks are to be used:
- "the following features related to nonmedical masks should be taken into consideration: • Numbers of layers of fabric/tissue • Breathability of material used • Water repellence/hydrophobic qualities • Shape of mask • Fit of mask".
- Where will any governmental authority obtain such direction on the construction of a cloth mask when no medical studies have been done to clearly define how to compose a cloth mask to be Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) against COVID-19?
Based on the above, we, the people of Kauai, respectfully request this Mayoral Proclamation, Emergency Rule #6 (04/13/2020), be immediately rescinded.