SUPPORT CROSS COUNTRY SKIING AT BRAEMAR PARK WITH SNOWMAKING
We, the undersigned, hereby petition the Edina City Council to vote YES for the Braemar Park Winter Recreation proposal at the City Council Public Hearing on Sept. 7, 2016.
We believe that the addition of well-designed cross country ski trails and snowmaking at Braemar will enhance the impressive list of recreational amenities we already enjoy. We also believe that this facility will complement the expressed desire of the community for additional trails by providing safe, maintained, green spaces to be enjoyed by Edina families year-round.
- Edina parks are for all to enjoy. Braemar Park, with 450 acres, is Edina’s largest park. The proposed trail will open the door for people to enjoy Braemar Park’s natural beauty during the winter. The trails can also be used for walking, jogging and bird watching during the warmer seasons.
- Edina residents have consistently asked the city for more trails of all kinds, so the City of Edina has responded with high quality designs for a national class cross country ski trail with 3km of snowmaking.
- Cross country skiing is a silent sport that offers an active and healthy lifestyle for Edina residents.
- Edina will be a leader, by being one of the first cities in the area to offer this amazingly popular amenity for residents.
- Cross country ski trails with manmade snow are in very short supply. There are only three other such trails in the metropolitan area. These three trails are in high demand, often congested. The proposed trail will help in a big way to meet the growing needs of cross country skiers of all ages in Edina as well as providing an additional option for neighboring communities.
- The Edina Nordic Ski Team, the third largest sport at Edina High School with 200 athletes, has been practicing at the high school for many years, but that practice area will soon shrink dramatically due to new construction projects. After next year, the team will no longer have a place for most of the team to practice. The proposed ski trail at Braemar Park will alleviate that problem.
- Approval of the proposed ski trail will cost the average Edina homeowner approximately $20 per year over the next 10 years. Operating revenues are expected to cover operating expenses after the trails become established over the next 3-4 years. Most endeavors operated by the City of Edina for residents do not generate enough revenue to cover operating costs. The Edina pool and the Edina liquor store are two notable exceptions. Therefore, cross country ski trails with snowmaking will be a welcome addition to Edina’s rich array of amenities.
- For more information about the project, visit http://edinamn.gov/index.php?section=winterrecbraemar
- September 8
- At the September 7th Edina City Council meeting, the proposal was not advanced, instead the decision was made to send the concept back for more planning as part of the Braemar master plan in 2017. However, the golf course renovations will go forward. This is bad for ski trails, because it really limits trail options in Braemar Park. show more
- August 31
- Thank you to all of our signers! On 8/31/2016 738 signatures were submitted to the Edina City Council in support of Braemar snowmaking and cross country skiing. This includes 151 signatures collected though our paper petitions. The majority of the 738 were Edina residents. If you haven't already signed, the online petition will remain open through the entire decision making process. show more
- August 27
- Petition has reached 500 signatures! show more
- August 26
- Our goal is 2,000 signatures by August 30th. With only a few days left to reach that mark, please encourage others to join our efforts! show more
- August 22
- Please encourage your friends and family who support this project to sign this petition. The petition is a huge show of support! You can also send your supportive comments directly to the Edina city council at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org show more
- August 18
- We are now live! show more
6 months agoGary Evans6 months ago
6 months agoNathaniel Tollefson6 months ago
7 months agoAdam Segar7 months ago
7 months agoThomas Gahr7 months ago
8 months agoBrian Houts8 months ago
8 months agoDeborah Chadwick8 months ago
8 months agoDamien Chadwick8 months ago
8 months agoScott Putman8 months ago
8 months agoBethAnn Chamberlain8 months ago
9 months agoOwen Gage9 months ago
9 months agoKai Richter9 months ago
9 months agoJill Sonnesyn9 months ago
9 months agoJanelle Jurek9 months ago
9 months agoMycah Burns9 months ago
9 months agoBrian Milavitz9 months ago