SUPPORT CROSS COUNTRY SKIING AT BRAEMAR PARK WITH SNOWMAKING
We, the undersigned, hereby petition the Edina City Council to vote YES for the Braemar Park Winter Recreation proposal at the City Council Public Hearing on Sept. 7, 2016.
We believe that the addition of well-designed cross country ski trails and snowmaking at Braemar will enhance the impressive list of recreational amenities we already enjoy. We also believe that this facility will complement the expressed desire of the community for additional trails by providing safe, maintained, green spaces to be enjoyed by Edina families year-round.
- Edina parks are for all to enjoy. Braemar Park, with 450 acres, is Edina’s largest park. The proposed trail will open the door for people to enjoy Braemar Park’s natural beauty during the winter. The trails can also be used for walking, jogging and bird watching during the warmer seasons.
- Edina residents have consistently asked the city for more trails of all kinds, so the City of Edina has responded with high quality designs for a national class cross country ski trail with 3km of snowmaking.
- Cross country skiing is a silent sport that offers an active and healthy lifestyle for Edina residents.
- Edina will be a leader, by being one of the first cities in the area to offer this amazingly popular amenity for residents.
- Cross country ski trails with manmade snow are in very short supply. There are only three other such trails in the metropolitan area. These three trails are in high demand, often congested. The proposed trail will help in a big way to meet the growing needs of cross country skiers of all ages in Edina as well as providing an additional option for neighboring communities.
- The Edina Nordic Ski Team, the third largest sport at Edina High School with 200 athletes, has been practicing at the high school for many years, but that practice area will soon shrink dramatically due to new construction projects. After next year, the team will no longer have a place for most of the team to practice. The proposed ski trail at Braemar Park will alleviate that problem.
- Approval of the proposed ski trail will cost the average Edina homeowner approximately $20 per year over the next 10 years. Operating revenues are expected to cover operating expenses after the trails become established over the next 3-4 years. Most endeavors operated by the City of Edina for residents do not generate enough revenue to cover operating costs. The Edina pool and the Edina liquor store are two notable exceptions. Therefore, cross country ski trails with snowmaking will be a welcome addition to Edina’s rich array of amenities.
- For more information about the project, visit http://edinamn.gov/index.php?section=winterrecbraemar