Save Birley Fields
We, the undersigned, are calling for a stop to Manchester Metropolitan University’s (MMU) current proposal to build a campus on the Birley Fields green space.
The campus proposal
• Consultation was poor. Many local people still don’t know much about the plans or what the effects will be
• Doesn’t say how it will deal with increased traffic in Hulme (when over 6000 students and staff will be using the campus). Parking and traffic jams are already bad.
• mainly offers facilities that are already in the local community
• creates only a few new jobs for Hulme. Most of the jobs will be transferred in from other campuses.
• Says it will be a ‘green campus’ but that campus will be built on green fields and remove trees. Hulme needs natural open green space and trees for the community and students. The current plans do not reflect this.
With all the changes happening in education, and where MMU is in that, they are gambling with Hulme’s green space. The campus plans are in the wrong place for Hulme and at the wrong time for MMU.
We need your support.