BIB POA Fee Restructuring Discussion
The undersigned property owners who are members of the BIB Property Owners Association, request that the following two topics be placed on the agenda for discussion, pursuant to Florida Statute 720.303.3(d)*.
DISCUSSION AND CONSIDERATION OF A TIERED FEE STRUCTURE FOR ANNUAL MAINTENANCE FEES
ADOPTION OF PAYMENT PLAN WITH LATE FEES WAIVED.
In addition to the discussion topics, we offer some solutions to discuss as follows:
1. Make it possible for all lot and homeowners to pay partial fees – quarterly or monthly – without penalty, as long as they pay up in full by the end of the year.
2. Unimproved lots would pay 60% of regular fees. Homes occupied for less than six months of the year would pay 75- 80% of the amount full-time residents of BIB pay. Properties being used as vacation rentals would pay the full fee regardless of occupancy.
3. Forgive a percentage of unpaid back fees, maybe 10%, if they elect to join the lower fee program. Each time they make the reduced payment, they also would be obliged to make a payment against their unpaid back fees (for instance repay 5% of unpaid back fees each pay period) PROVIDED THEY DON'T MISS A PAYMENT.
4. If they miss a payment, they would have to revert to paying the full annual fee for a period of time and back fees would remain undiscounted. The homeowner could reapply for the reduced payment plan again in the future (after one or two years?). This strategy would greatly encourage reliable and consistent payment of current and back fees which are not now being paid.
5. To keep things fair, full-time homeowners with unpaid back fees could apply to receive the same discount to their back fees, provided they keep up to date on HOA payments.
* Florida Statute 720.303.3(d) "If 20 percent of the total voting interests petition the board to address an item of business, the board shall at its next regular board meeting or at a special meeting of the board, but not later than 60 days after the receipt of the petition, take the petitioned item up on an agenda. The board shall give all members notice of the meeting at which the petitioned item shall be addressed in accordance with the 14-day notice requirement pursuant to subparagraph (c)2.
Each member shall have the right to speak for at least 3 minutes on each matter placed on the agenda by petition, provided that the member signs the sign-up sheet, if one is provided, or submits a written request to speak prior to the meeting. Other than addressing the petitioned item at the meeting, the board is not obligated to take any other action requested by the petition."