B.I. Project- Providing Homes
This petition is to stop unfair housing practices in the state of Hawaii.
Our objective is to ensure the state is fully aware of the issues affecting Hawaii and provide recommended solutions for review. In addressing these issues we hope to make change, legislate bills/laws in benefit to our people assisting with cost of living and an increase of housing for the people of the Island at a rate that is fair.
By signing this petition you are supporting the motion to place regulations and make change. You are concerned with the lack of housing for residents,sales to non-Hawaii residents, inflated rates, permit process and/or discrimination against tenants, and would like to see this matter reviewed and addressed by our State Representative.
The matters to address and recommended solutions (below) are provided by residents of Hawaii. You are welcome and encouraged to send a letter regarding your views, recommendations and experiences to email@example.com. All applicable letters received to be attached to this petition for review by our state representative.
Please visit our Facebook Page and get involved:
Please remember, housing is a right not privilege!
*Matters to address and recommended solutions: (Please, feel free to add)
1.) Increases in cost of living exceed rate of pay:
* Evaluate and place regulations on increases, including but not limited to housing rental rates, purchased goods and leisurely activities.
* Charge residents accordingly and increase rates for tourist or increase Hawaii rate of pay to reflect cost of living.
2.) Limited long term rentals:
* Evaluate the percentage of vacation/short term rentals vs long term rental homes. Place regulations on the permitted short term rentals ensuring the percentage does not exceed a certain ratio and there are enough homes for residents of the island.
* Strictly enforce TAT and GET is paid on permitted vacation rentals.
3.) Long-term rental rate caps:
* Enforce rent control by capping rental rates and regulate increases based on property value, including renovations/improvements. In enforcing a rental rate cap and regulating increases, by adopting rent control, we are ensuring the rental market is fair to both homeowner and tenant.
4.) Discrimination against tenants:
* Strictly enforce fair housing laws and penalties if violated.
* Prohibit property managers/homeowners from collecting multiple applications proceeding a qualifying applicant.
5.) Permit process for new/existing construction:
* Analyze and implement a written plan resulting in more a more efficient method in pulling permits.
6.) Renters causing damage/ leaving property in poor condition:
* Allow homeowners to add the cost of a bi weekly-monthly maid service to the rental contracts with a stipulation that the lease may be terminated with a 30 day notice if the maid reports ill activity or mistreatment of the property.
7.) Real Estate:
* Regulate the percentage of housing/property sold to investors/non-Hawaii residents.
8.) Loss of Family Land
* *Recommendations Needed*
Mahalo Nui Loa!