Addressing Dyslexia in Missouri Public Schools
Decoding Dyslexia - Missouri is a grassroots movement by Missouri families to address the struggles we face in securing appropriate reading interventions for our children with dyslexia in Missouri public schools.
We urge our Department of Education and our local policy-makers to address the following topics:
1. Establishing a universal definition and understanding of the term "dyslexia" within our state education code.
2. Mandating early screening and identification of at-risk students.
3. Mandating Missouri teacher certification and ongoing professional development to include training on dyslexia and appropriate intervention strategies.
4. Mandating the use of appropriate research based reading interventions for at-risk students in both general and special education programs.
5. Providing for access to assistive technology for all at-risk students in both general and special education programs.
We call on Missouri policy-makers to support students with dyslexia. It is time for Missouri Public Schools to catch up with the science on reading and dyslexia.