Address the sound post-production issues at Bower Ashton
During our recent third year production module, it became clear that there were many issues with the sound post-production facilities in the new building. We have created this petition to show the faculty exactly what those issues are - by using our voices as students, we can communicate what is and isn't working.
- Not enough ProTools workstations - only 10 computers have ProTools installed on them, outside of the dubbing suites. During busy periods this is not enough
- Second dubbing suite is not yet functioning in 5.1 - again, in busy periods when everyone needs to be mixing, one dubbing suite is not enough
- Not enough post-sound staff - only two between three years means they are stretched very thin
- Bookings system can be unclear when busy - if who has booked what could somehow be visible to students, we could discuss and arrange amongst ourselves more easily - or have a better system for block booking in busy periods
- Need clearer guidance on when to use facilities and what for, to prevent overbooking - e.g. Foley studio and dubbing suites
While we understand that not all of these issues are easy to address, we felt it was important to communicate where the problems are. We are trying to work in a professional way, in an environment that doesn't always make that easy.