Acknowledgements policy of Wageningen University
PhDs, Employees, Students and Alumni at Wageningen UR,
the Academic Board of Wageningen University (WU) has restricted the content of the acknowledgements section (dankwoord) of a WU PhD thesis, such that it may no longer contain any religious expression,
- the content of the acknowledgements section is by nature completely separate from the scientific content of the thesis
- according to the new policy, a PhD candidate is still allowed to acknowledge relatives, friends, pets or any other creature, but not God
- the new, rigid policy unwantedly prevents PhD candidates to express their deepest motivations, of which religion may be an intrinsic ingredient, and may make them feel discriminated against
- Wageningen University is extreme in applying this restriction compared with other Dutch universities
kindly ask the Rector, as chairman of the ‘Academic Board’ of WU,
- to withdraw the current restriction and consider a different policy.
If you agree, please sign (first and last name) this petition. Feel free to distribute this petition in your network.