A Sickness Ignored: Mental Illnesses
I pledge to help get rid of the stigma of mental illnesses and to not mock mental health, but stand up for those that suffer, and to be there for them.
The Problem: Mental illnesses, or diagnosable mental disorders that affect mood, thinking, or behavior, are tabooed, ridiculed, and marginalized. It is a serious issue that affects EVERYBODY, not just those who suffer.
Stats and Facts:
- EVERY 40 SECONDS, someone takes their own life. This means 3,000 suicides EACH DAY.
- For every person that succeeds in taking their own life, 20 others try
- 1 million people die by suicide each year
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Half of all mental disorders will show signs BEFORE THE AGE OF 14 and over three-quarters show signs BEFORE THE AGE OF 24
- 1 in 10 young people will experience depression
- 1 in 5 adolecents (ages 13-18) will experience a sever mental disorder
- 1 in 5 people, or 42.5 million in the U.S will experience a mental illness
- 1 in four IN THE WORLD will experience a mental illness. This is 25% of everybody.
- Mental illnesses are one of the world's leading disabilities
- 1 in 25 will experience a DEBILITATING mental disorder
- Less than 20% of young people with a mental illness fail to get the help they need