TKE must add Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to its Operations and Values
"above all else, this fraternity stands for men" - all men.
The lack of inclusion, equity, and diversity is a failing of Tau Kappa Epsilon.
Being moved to action due to the recent events including the killing of George Floyd, and by the actions of the The Grand Council of Tau Kappa Epsilon releasing the 2020-2025 Strategic Plan for Tau Kappa Epsilon on May 11, 2020; we have the obligation to lift our voices and fight for change in order to keep the vow we made to uphold the Declaration of Principles.
"Faith without works is dead."
After reading and reviewing the strategic plan, it is unfathomable that the word diversity is not found within it.
No other synonyms or specified identifiers of diversity can be found anywhere in the document. No words like multicultural, minorities, backgrounds, medley, various and so on.
I ask that you join the call upon Tau Kappa Epsilon, to do the following:
- Create an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) working Group, made up of people of color and minorities, whose sole purpose is to add an addendum of the latest strategic plan to include “Goal Five: Diversity”.
- Establish an Award for Excellence in EDI at the collegiate level within Chapter Awards, Top Teke, and Top Teke Recruiter awards.
- Form a National EDI scholarship fund
- Encourage alumni associations to add a Director of Diversity to their leadership structure, it is heavily encouraged that they be a person of color or minority.
- Include EDI as a major tenant in Regional Leadership Conferences, Charles R. Walgreen, Jr. TKE Leadership Academy, and Conclave
- Formulate The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Advisory Committee and add it’s Chairman to Grand Council meetings as soon as possible. They will also be a direct resource for the Fraternity's Professional Staff and to the Chief Executive officer. (A proposal of this committee, who’s structure would be similar to the Collegiate advisory council is available)
Let us all stand together in the facets of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion regardless if you are White, Caucasian American, European, Black or African American, Lantix, Indegenous or Native American, Alaska Native, Southeast Asian, Indian, Asian American, Middle-Eastern American, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, LGBTQ+. Together we can make Tau Kappa Epsilon a leader in creating better men for a better world.
Yours in the Bond,