Petition for Safety of Our Children while crossing University Boulevard At Fort Settlement Middle School intersection
10/17/2014 Update: Another near miss accident involving 3 students occurred yesterday on 10/16/2014 at school dismissal time. This time a motorcycle police officer was present at the scene and gave chase to the reckless driver. Please sign the petition asking the City of Sugar Land to do the right thing to put student safety first and make this intersection safe.
10/09/2014 Update: At the Town Hall Meeting on 10/09/2014, I learnt that the City of Sugar Land will expand University Blvd to a 6 lane highway if there is demand! When pressed what the definition of "increased demand" is - no answer was given. So in my opinion it is only a matter of time that there will be another Highway 6 alongside a Middle School and in a residential neighborhood. Please support this petition.
Three students were attempting to cross University Boulevard on August 29, 2014 immediately after Fort Settlement Middle school was dismissed. They narrowly escaped being hit by a reckless young male driver in a grey color car playing loud music. The crosswalk sign was on and yet the three students were not safe because the City of Sugar Land has not provided enough protection for the School Zone crossings.
We have conducted studies of traffic on University Blvd in our neighborhoods and 80-90% of the traffic is only passing through the area - i.e. not turning onto Elkins Rd. Of these pass through vehicles a significant number of vehicles are Commercial vehicles like Cement Trucks, Heavy Equipment Carriers, Dump trucks etc.
· Police Enforcement of traffic laws. Enforcement of current traffic laws- no talking on cell Phones, No Right turns on Red, Speeding through School Zones etc.
· Yellow School Crossing Symbol warning signs to be placed on University Boulevard to caution passing through drivers just like it is on Commonwealth Boulevard for FSMS students.
· Exclusive Right Turn Signal to come on during School Zone hours like it is on Highway 6. This will eliminate illegal Right Turns on Red.
· Make the School Crosswalk safe - No Left turn Yields to come on when the Crosswalk sign is on.
· Reduce School Zone Speed to 20 MPH on University Blvd like it is on Elkins Rd and Commonwealth Blvd.
· Pedestrian Bridge over University Boulevard if the City of Sugar Land is unable to ensure the safety of students at all times.
· Creation of another entry/Exit to Fort Settlement Middle School. With the population explosion in the neighborhoods including Riverstone and the school already exceeding over a1000+ students, it is not safe to have only one Entry/Exit into Fort Settlement Middle school. This is immediately needed to reduce the traffic backup on University Blvd in both directions.
The City of Sugar Land
has major expansion plans for University Boulevard.
1. University Blvd. is being expanded to Alt. 90.
2. Meadowcroft Blvd. is currently being expanded to connect First Colony Blvd to University Blvd North of US. 59/69.
3. The City of Sugar Land is diverting traffic off other highly congested roads to our residential area.
Going forward University
Boulevard will soon resemble a freeway with traffic moving in high speeds and
in high volumes all times of the day and night. With the population expansion
in Fort Bend County and University Boulevard expansion, it is safe to say that
more high speed, high volume traffic will be only “passing through”.
We are requesting that the City of Sugar Land
Put the Safety and Security of our students above their priority of moving High
Speed, High Density, and Pass Through traffic through our neighborhood. This
isn't much to ask, especially when the lives of young children are involved.
Sugar Land is supposedly one of the best cities
to raise a family - does that only apply to a decreasing number of areas in
Sugar Land or certain neighborhoods or areas?