On April 5th, 2012 at 3:00 PM, the District 5 West Palm Beach City Commission seat will become open.
We the undersigned are of the opinion that:
1. The West Palm Beach City Charter Section 2.01 clearly states that The City Commission shall consist of five (5) City Commissioners and a Mayor who are elected at-large on a nonpartisan basis.
2. That Section 2.06 defines a vacancy on the commission as occurring upon the “death, resignation, removal or recall of a member."
3. That on April 5th, 2012 at 3:00 PM, there will be no elected member to fill the District 5 seat to serve the 2012 term.
4. As there will be no elected or appointed member of the City Commission to fill the District 5 seat, there is no legal vacancy as defined in Section 2.06.
5. Therefore, the section requiring an appointment be made in the case of a vacancy does not apply.
6. Furthermore, on March 13, 2012, voters overwhelmingly approved a charter amendment favoring special elections over appointments when a seat becomes vacant in circumstances where a member resigns to run for another office.
And therefore, we the undersigned, adult residents of West Palm Beach resolve to FAVOR the election of a commissioner to represent District 5.
No comments yet.join the discussion
Madeline (Sandy) Matkiivich, United States2 years ago Comments: Allow the taxpayers/voters a fair chanch of who represents us. The mayor will replace Moss with another yes man. They cannot stop someone appointed from running. There are few people who are willing to run against an incumbent.
Dixie brown, United States2 years ago Comments: -
philip niciozisis, United States2 years ago Comments: -
There are no highlights yet.