5 Feb 2014
We the undersigned demand that Uganda communications Commission take immediate action against telecommunications companies that are misusing customers’ data and information.
Unwanted Witness Uganda together with the organizers of the International
action centre at www.necessaryandproportionate.org/takeaction
has today launched a petition in Uganda asking mobile and internet to demand
for all Telecommunications companies in Uganda licensed by the Uganda
communications Commission to forthwith stop misusing
customer’s personal information
a long time, telecommunication companies in Uganda have continued to register
subscribers through the mandatory SIM-Card registrations exercise. Whilst this
is happening, the said companies have continued to misuse the said information
gathered in their custody by passing it to business persons/entities, politicians and
government security agencies in the absence of a privacy & a data
protection law. The effect with this has been businesses bombarding users with
unsolicited messages which illegally cheat customers of their airtime while
deactivating; politicians using customers illegally obtained information/data
to solicit for votes; unlawfully
tendering it as evidence in court and general interference with the customers
right to privacy and data protection through mass surveillance by security agencies;
The right to privacy is part of the
basic fundamental rights and freedoms guaranteed by the 1995 constitution as
inherent and not state given. Specifically article 27 (2) of the 1995
Constitution of the Republic of Uganda states that no person shall be subjected
to interference with the privacy of that person’s home, correspondence,
communication or other property. The purpose of the guarantee
is to protect personal safety and security of the individual.
The Unwanted Witness in partnership with the necessary and proportionate coalition share the belief that telecommunication companies are in serious breach of their duty of confidentiality and protection of their customer’s right to privacy. Hence telecommunication companies have totally failed to implement and adhere to their own data protection policies. For this reason, telecommunication companies should stop this illegal act and provide assurances to customers on the safety and security of their private information as the government undertakes measures to enact a Privacy and data protection law.
We thus recommend the following;
1. Uganda Communications Commission should put in place stringent measures for telecommunication companies to strictly adhere and conform to the implementation of the consumer’s rights.
2. Uganda Communications Commission should enforce its regulatory function over telecommunication companies to prohibit them from passing on phone users` data/ information.
3. Telecommunication companies should strictly implement their internal privacy and data protection policies including controlling and regulating whoever has access to it;
4. Private persons; investigators, security agencies should respect the right to private information of citizens
5. Government should expedite the legislative processes for the enactment of a Privacy and Data protection law;
Tusaba Gavumenti Etuuyambe through @UCCug to reign over telecoms to observe the customers` rights
Need for more advocacy at all levels on this!
Thanks for the intiative
Julius Ssentamu4 months ago
Joaninne Nanyange4 months ago
Edward mwebaza4 months ago
- The Unwanted Witness Uganda together with the organizers of the International action centre at www.necessaryandproportionate.org/takeaction has today launched a petition in Uganda asking mobile and internet to demand for all Telecommunications companies in Uganda licensed by the Uganda communications Commission to forthwith stop misusing customer’s personal information
- We are now live!