Chickens have existed in cities since the dawn of time, and they still exist all over the world. Benefits to raising hens in the City of Toronto include:
1. Fresh, healthy, delicious eggs, free of pesticides and antibiotics.
2. Chickens eat table scrapes, reducing municipal solid waste.
3. Chickens produce a rich fertilizer by-product, high in nitrogen, eliminating the need for petrochemical fertilizers.
4. Educational - teaches children where our food comes from and demonstrates responsible pet ownership.
5. Great pets - Chickens are people-friendly. Their behaviour is interesting and entertaining.
6. Chickens eat bugs, reducing our backyard pest population.
We, the undersigned, citizens of the City of Toronto, urge Toronto City Council, to update the Toronto Municipal Code in order to permit the responsible keeping of backyard chickens.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.