Tobacco Free India

Globally, tobacco is responsible for the death of 1 in 10 adults (about 5 million deaths each year). Annually, 800,000 to 900,000 Indians die from diseases associated with tobacco use ( 2,500 a day). 

Health consequences arising from tobacco consumption virtually affect every organ of the human body leading to ill health, disease and death; the key health hazards being heart diseases, lung diseases and cancer.

It is estimated that heart diseases due to tobacco consumption will be responsible for around 50 lakh death (about 40% of the total deaths) in the country by 2020.  More than 80% of the lung diseases are attributed to smoking and would account for about 8 lakh deaths (6%) by 2020.  Each year in India an estimated total of 700,000- 900,000 new cancers are diagnosed.

Nearly half of all of these are attributable to tobacco consumption. Majority of these cancers present in an advance stage

(60-80%) and hence thus end up having a poor results.

Into the bargain are other problems of tobacco such as stroke, complications of pregnancy, and many other diseases which also pose substantial health dangers due to involuntary exposure to tobacco smoke. Despite these health dangers and the public's awareness tobacco use remains surprisingly prevalent. 

In India, tobacco is used in a wide variety of ways: smoking, chewing, applying, sucking, gargling, etc.Taking the present trends in tobacco consumption in India, an average total loss of around 277.611 billion rupees yearly is estimated, which seems conservative. 

This amount by far exceeds the government generated revenue from tobacco and reaches almost 1/4th of India’s expenditure on health (around $25 billion). This amounts to serious economical losses especially when 75% of its population lives on less than $2 a day (purchasing power parity - ppp)this bears significant importance especially, in a country, where the government expenditure on health constitutes just 18% and the remaining 82% is private expenditure.

Paradoxically,despite this knowledge vast majority of us fall prey to this deadly evil. Today it is estimated that India has more than 250 million tobacco consumers and still continues to be one of the world’s largest producer of tobacco.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

As it may be evident from the current scenario, the need of the hour is to integrate and strengthen our efforts to increase public health awareness as well as to influence the government to take stronger steps to curb tobacco usage.

Join us in our pledge to make a new beginning. Let us all re build a “TOBACCO FREE INDIA”.

Sponsor

Global Cancer Trust

Links

http://www.whoindia.org/EN/Section20/Section25.htm

 

http://www.tobaccofree.org/children.htm

 

http://www.actindia.org/

 

http://sites.google.com/site/chaturvedipankaj/tobaccokills

 

 

Discussion

No comments yet.

join the discussion

Recent signatures

  • username

    Niral Bhavsar, United Kingdom

    5 years ago Comments: -
  • username

    Mohammed Nawaz, Saudi Arabia

    5 years ago Comments: -
  • username

    Shaishav Shah, India

    5 years ago Comments: -
See more

Petition highlights

There are no highlights yet.