Thoughts from the meeting on June 6 Jun 7. 2012 | Comments (3)
Tonight's meeting went longer than the 1 1/2 hours originally scheduled and I'm sure all have their own feedback and impressions. I welcome all to give their impressions and feedback here in the blog or if others would like to create a forum somewhere else - would welcome that too.
Turnout was great - I'd say there were somewhere between 80-100 folks who showed up.
1. Introductions and OUSD's understanding of the issue
Here David Montes de Oca gave an overview of his role, policy and procedure
2. Community Introductions
Here I presented the petition and signatures to David Montes de Oca and many attendees posed their questions and concerns to David Montes de Oca while he took notes
3. Overview of OUSDs response to questions and concerns
Here David talked through a lot of policy and history in response to point #2 and the recognized need for an evaluation of schools throughout the district as a priority
4. Remaining questions and next steps
5. Follow-up engagement in late September (after enrollment confirmed for 2012 - 2013)
The net net for me was that OUSD has recognized that there is an issue with capacity at Crocker and will prioritize this as an issue to have a full school evaluation to have this addressed. This was the initial goal of the creation of this petition, so that's a decent sign for future years. However, they do not have any changes that seem to be going in place for the folks that apply for next year which means we will probably see at least the same number of issues for next year as previous. It did not seem like a quick reversal of the new boundaries based on capacity is part of the current plan.
I did stay after and speak to David Montes de Oca who did say that we should continue with the petition. He did say that the comments on the petition are most helpful and he said he would like to hear some creative ideas from the community - a few of which that seemed to peak some interest...
* Folks within the community who volunteered to help with the data who have statistician type backgrounds.(apparently David Kakishiba had interest in this)
* Idea to build up within Crocker and use Lakeview as a temp school during that construction
* Poll within overcrowded schools of who would be sending siblings in future to help with predictions of enrollments for future classes
I'm sure there are more. Please send your feedback and ideas directly to:
School Board: email: David.Kakishiba@ousd.k12.ca.us OUSD Phone: 510 879-8199 dial 3 for board members and then 2 for David
Representative of Superintendent of Schools: email: firstname.lastname@example.org 510-879-8349
Principal of Crocker: Elizabeth Rhine email@example.com
Thanks so much for your involvement and feedback - please post your thoughts and if you think there are any good next steps that we can have between now and the meeting in late September.