The Stanford Climate Change Campaign asks the University to commit itself to the fight against global warming with the following steps:
1) Adopt an official stance on climate change by creating a unified policy and emissions reduction plan for the university
2) Reduce total greenhouse gas emissions by 10% from 1990 levels by 2020
3) Complete the formal climate inventory, currently underway, no later than the end of academic year 2006-2007
4) Maintain active student, faculty, and staff involvement throughout the process
5) Take measurable strides in implementing on-campus renewable energy generation by the beginning of academic year 2007-2008 (solar hot water systems installed, photovoltaic systems installed, wind turbines constructed)
6) Develop a long-term plan for climate neutrality
As an institution of higher learning and a global citizen, Stanford University has the responsibility to demonstrate leadership by cutting its own greenhouse gas emissions. This would signal that institutions of higher learning care about this issue and are willing to take concrete steps to deal with it.
Indeed, other leading universities have already adopted progressive policies to cut their emissions and
The Stanford Climate Change Campaign, a project of Students for a Sustainable Stanford in conjunction with People for the American Way Foundation, Global Exchange, and other student groups, proposes a different future for our university and our planet. http://sustainability.stanford.edu/climatecrew
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
(No links added)
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.