We reject the Federal Government's intrusion into our education system
and want control over what is taught in our classroom returned to our
state and local school boards.
• Common Core removes control of our state k-12 education standards from Illinois and puts it in the hands of private trade organizations who wrote and copyrighted the standards and who are not accountable to the public which pays for their implementation.
• It allows the federal government to dictate the terms of our teacher evaluations.
• It makes it practically impossible for local school districts to control their costs because independent consortia develop assessment tools which our districts must use. These on-line assessments are not only many times more expensive than our existing tests, they are a technical impossibility for many schools in our state who do not have broadband access to the internet.
• Common Core Standards are not internationally benchmarked as marketed, nor have they been tested and found to be superior to existing state standards. They have never been tried before. Their implementation in 45 states amounts to a massive pilot program that uses our children as test subjects.
• Common Core assessments ramp up the collection of personally identifiable data on our children. Through various agreements this data will be sent directly to the US Department of Education who has changed the Family Education Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) to allow this data to be shared with other government agencies and third parties without our knowledge or consent.
• The architect of the Common Core Standards has vowed to align the SAT tests to these standards thereby pressuring homeschoolers and private schools to teach to these standards as well. Millions of children will be lost inside a one size fits all system designed to create equal mediocrity among the new “global citizens.”
Please teach our kids and not frustrate them.
i am in 6th grade. common core has taught me nothing exept for the fact that children are easily brainwashed.
Need to stop common core in its tracks. This is total garbage and our children should not be subjected to its philosophy.
Carolyn Schierhorn2 days ago Comments: The new grading methodology my children's school district implemented for elementary schools (I-independent, S-support and N-not yet evident) is one of the worst aspects of the Common Core. It is especially demoralizing for children with IEPs who are mainstreamed in regular classrooms and gifted children who deserve and need recognition for their exceptional skills. The new grading system applies to all subjects this year, not just reading and math. It is a mistake to say that the Common Core is simply about language arts and math standards. That would be dire enough, but the Common Core philosophy affects every subject taught in school in Illinois, even PE, art and music.
Sharon freedlund4 days ago Comments: Common sense get back to it.
Tammy Warren4 days ago Comments: My daughter is failing math!! She went from high honors in sixth grade to failing in seventh grade!! When I spoke with her teachers, I was informed that the teachers don't even understand common core! My question is: How do they expect our kids to understand it if they don't?! My daughter is in seventh grade & wants to already drop out of school because the math is way to hard!! She has a hard time in all her other classes because of how frustrating it is in math!! GET RID OF THIS STUPID COMMON CORE!!! What ever happened to simple math? Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division! That's what I grew up learning and it works perfectly in every day life. GET RID OF COMMON CORE!!!
There are no highlights yet.