I support Philadelphia International Charter School (PICS) and recommend it for approval by the charter authorizing agency and urge elected officials to support this application as necessary.
PICS will make a strong contribution to the many communities making up Northeast Philadelphia and potentially Eastern Montgomery County. Here’s why.
- PICS will provide a safe, nurturing and disciplined learning environment. Without this there is very little learning.
- PICS will emphasize academic excellence and within several years will by outperforming relevant benchmarks.
- PICS will be a unique school and will emphasize preparation for success in the global economy. We are not talking about slogan, but a school designed by people who have done this.
- PICS will deliver professional ESL services.
- PICS will utilize proven, state of the art methodologies for reading and math instruction at all levels.
- PICS will teach the language of the major trading blocks in the world today from early primary school. PICS will provide instruction in other languages requested by important stakeholder groups.
- PICS will implement instruction in the social sciences most directly related to the global economy developmentally appropriate ways.
- Tolerance, mutual respect, awakening curiosity for learning will be emphasized in all activities. In the neighborhoods we serve, anything less, would be failure.