Governor Haley, please consider the following legislation:
No person, including but not limited to Employer, who is the owner, lessee, or occupant of real property shall prohibit any person who is legally entitled to posses a firearm from possessing a firearm, part of a firearm, ammunition, or ammunition component in a vehicle on the property.
Employees are permitted to carry firearms to the place of work as long as firearms are maintained stored in unoccupied vehicle providing firearms are:
· Locked in the trunk of the employee vehicle
· Glove compartment of the employees locked vehicle
· Stored out of sight in the employees locked vehicle
Employers are not permitted to either:
· Ask employees about the presence of a firearm in a private vehicle
· Search a private vehicle for the presence of a firearm.
· Require disclosure of firearm by employee in an attempt to regulate.
· Company owned vehicles, or fleet vehicles
· Legal control of the vehicle ( leased or rental)
Employers cannot search employee’s locked privately owned vehicles unless:
· The search is done by law enforcement in pursuant to a valid search warrant
· The situation would lead a reasonable person to believe that accessing the vehicle is necessary to prevent an immediate threat to human health, life or safety.