We, the undersigned residents of Lenox Avenue and the greaterGlenbrook Community, are united in agreement that the decision of the City of Stamford's Parks and Recreation Department, to completely eliminate the trees on one side of the street is a completely unwarranted action.
Residents of Lenox Avenue and other streets in Glenbrookhave requested that the City Arborist respond and trim trees back on multiple occasions for many years, only to be answered with a calling card from the arborist stating there was no need.
On September 5th, the City posted notices of removal of trees from Lenox Avenue, in accordance with City Ordinance No. 814 Article 1B. The action would remove 16 trees from the tree-lined street of Lenox Avenue.
These trees are important to the community of Glenbrook and theresidents of Lenox as they:
1) Have historical significance from the original residents that settled our street almost 100 years ago
2) Add aesthetic value to our street which increases our curb appeal and property value
3) Serve important functional purposes, including serving as noise buffers to Metro North Railroad and the increased truck traffic on our road due to grandfathered zoning that forces residents to co-exist with industrial parks.
Last year, there was not one City tree that took down a power line on Lenox Avenue, not even during the October ice storm or Hurricane Sandy. There is no reason why the City can not work with CL&P to establish a trimming program, versus enacting theirresponsible "planned deforestation" of Lenox Avenue, and the future destruction ofother streets in the Glenbrook community.
We call upon the City of Stamford to immediately reverse their decision to remove these trees, and to propose a proper course of action to ensure effective maintenance over the long term.
What else can we do?
Call and Email the following people to express your opinion:
1) Ernie Orgera
2) Mayor Pavia
3) Glenbrook Representatives
4) Senator Carlos Leone
5) Candidates for Mayor
6) Stamford Advocate News Desk
City Editor Jonathan Lucas 203-964-2268