On March 19, 2013 the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors will be voting on changes to the on-campus precinct. Created in July 2011, these changes will have an impact on Student votes.
The Board is considering changing the polling precinct from University Hall to Mason Hall. This location is not easily accessible or recognizable to students on campus. This move is bad for the following reasons:
1) There is little to NO parking outside of Mason Hall. University Hall's 30 minute parking allows for students to drive to the precinct if need be and allow better access for the media to cover the electoral process.
2) University hall is between BOTH the Aquia and Rappahannock neighborhoods on campus. The entire precinct is made of on-campus students and staff. Moving the precinct away from where people live on-campus defeats the purpose of having it accessible.
3) University Hall is more accessible by campus shuttles. University Hall is located next to the Rappahannock parking deck. Most campus shuttles have stops there. The only shuttle that stops by Mason Hall is the Campus Circulator, an unscheduled buss that takes 30 minutes to get anywhere.
4) University Hall is our newest building is more recognizable than Mason Hall. Moving the precinct to an unrecognizable place on campus would definitely impact students abilities to find the poll and vote.
5) Student Government passed a resolution affirming their support for the precinct to remain in University Hall in Fall 2012. GMU did not listen to student input when asking for this change.
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.