Bodmin Town Council Statement Regarding Closure of the Public Rooms Feb 16. 2013 | Comments (0)
The following statement can be found at the Bodmin Town Council website:
Closure Of The Public Rooms
The decision to close this property has been taken as a consequence of the reforms to the Council Tax Base which has cut around 14.5% from the Town Council’s budget. These budget cuts have been imposed by central government as it looks to devolve the way in which council tax benefits are calculated and subsidised. This together with the fact that the Public Rooms are in need of significant refurbishment to bring the facilities in line with modern user expectations has resulted in the Council needing to make some very difficult decisions about its services and properties.
Whilst the Public Rooms offers a large space at low hire cost, it is in need of roof repairs in excess of £117,000, a bill that simply cannot be serviced by the current room hire income and the use that the building receives.
The Council has a number of other listed buildings in its property portfolio and the decision has therefore been taken to market the Public Rooms with a view to dispose of the building in the near future.
Therefore the following decisions have been made with regards to the closure of the Public Rooms;
- Only new bookings up to and including the 31 March will be taken
- The Public Rooms will continue to be used for existing bookings to 30 April 2013. Hopefully, this will help support customers whilst they explore alternative accommodation / venues such as local schools, church halls, scouts, community centres and sporting community groups.
- From 1 May 2013 the door to the Public Rooms will be closed to business.
- Existing bookings up to 30 June 2013 will be reallocated within the Council’s other venue hire premises with the hirers consent (wherever possible). The quoted Public Rooms price for this period will be honoured for any reallocated hirings.
- Following 30 June 2013 alternative venues will be offered where appropriate but at the current rates for the use of that venue. Should customers wish to take up the use of alternative venues a new booking form will need to be completed.
The Council would like to take this opportunity to thank all hirers for their custom over the years and wishes all groups and organisations that have used the premises all the best in securing alternative venue(s).
Should you have any questions or would like any further information about your particular booking then please contact the Facilities Administrator Jemma Andrews on 01208 74159.