Attention: Single Family Home Owners and Residents of the District:
WHAT DOES THE OFFICE OF PLANNING MEAN WHEN THEY STATE :
" Much of the housing stock in DC is bigger that what the current home owners actually need to live in " Former OP Director, Harriet Tregoning
And what does Victor Hoskins, Mayor Gray's Director of Development mean when he says in New Atlantic Mag,
"I'm sorry! But you are going to do so well when you sell your house. So we have this huge volume. That's equivalent to about $4.6 billion in total development value."
AND HOW have they acted to try to turn their development lobby driven perspective into :NEW ZONING LAW for your neighborhood?
What is means is , if you own a Single Family Home in a neighborhood about to be " zoned for more density", you will soon be " Taxed Out " of your ability to maintain your ownership of your home.
Did you know that in 2008, the Office of Planning, charged with the DC Zoning "re-write" was moved from the Supervsion of DCRA to the sole supervision of Victor Hoskins, the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development and that over the next four years, DC's zoning law was re-drafted by directly soliciting from developers their " wish list" of changes?
* Were you, as a DC resident, informed of the Zoning re-write process that began in 2008 ?
* Did your ANC bring the zoning reps to your neighborhood to take input on the specific needs of your community?
Did you know that by law the Zoning Code cannot be re-written without this level of public engagement having been documented and acted upon ?
Did you know that the proposed " up zoning " of your neighborhood from Single Family to " Residential Flat" ( condos) will dramatically escalate the property taxes of families who try to hold onto their SFH as such, until you are " taxed out " of your home or cannot leave it to your children owing to the tax burden.
Did you know that the zoning re-write for your neighborhood will allow developers to build one or several stories higher on your street as a matter of right, blocking out air and light of home owners who cannot afford to "build up" ?
Did you know that the zoning re-write eliminates the requirement that developers adding housing units to a street must provide at least a few parking spots. Moving forward, new buyers will just have to " find a spot " on our already over filled streets ?
WHAT CAN WE DO AS DC HOME OWNERS TO STOP THIS ?
Sign this petition to put DC Superior Court and the Mayor on notice:
The DC Office of Planning has violated the legal requirement that " all zoning change be first and foremost in the Public Welfare", per the Supreme Court decision that established the municipal power of zoning
Home Owners and residents of the District request from DC Superior Court a moratorium on the new zoing code until:
1) The property tax code is re-written to ensure continued viability of SFH ownership in the Nation's Capital.
2) The OP can demonstrate they are actually building the affordable housing that they made " assurances" would be built.
3) The DC City Council can demonstrate, in its budget, a dramatic increase to full funding for zoning and parking regulation enforcement
4) Until such date as the DC City Council, NCPC and Ward leaders can collectively vet and hire a new Director of Office of Planning, capable of city planning based on neighborhood community needs per required law.