Carbon monoxide is the silent killer that can affect any of us, at any time. Caused by poorly installed or maintained gas appliances such as cookers or boilers, or where flues, chimneys or vents are blocked, carbon monoxide fumes can often go undetected until it is too late.
Department of Health estimates show that around 50 people die from carbon monoxide every year, with a further 4,000 people having to receive hospital treatment as a result of inhaling fumes.
As well as short-term symptoms, carbon monoxide can also have longer term impacts on health, including heart problems, brain damage and respiratory problems.
Following a spate of deaths in Northern Ireland, the Irish Government has recently made it mandatory for every home in the country to be fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.
We would like to see the same measure being introduced here.
Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and simple to install and could help save the lives of the people you love most.
Yet despite this, it is estimated that over 35 million homes in the UK have yet to install one.
Please sign our petition and help shut carbon monoxide out of our homes for good by making it compulsory for detectors to be fitted into every UK home.