The undersigned support legislation to:
1. Close the background check loopholes;
2. Ban military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
We support funding to invest in:
1. Improving incentives for states to share information with the background check system;
2. Keeping 15,000 law enforcement officers on the street and training 14,000 more police officers;
3. Mandating, the Center for Disease Control to conduct research on the causes and prevention of gun violence, and NIH research into video, media, and violence;
4. Expanding the National Violent Death Reporting System to all states;
5. Putting up to 1000 new school resource officers and school counselors on the job, help school districts develop and implement emergency management plans, and help 8000 more schools train their teachers and school staff to implement these strategies.
We support conducting hearings for the nominated ATFE Director.
The Safe Communities Committee: A group of concerned women in Chatham County NC started this petition, but invite all citizens to sign. We dedicate our efforts to the memory of the 20 children and 5 teachers of Sandy Hook Elementary and to all those families and communities who have experienced gun violence.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.