Knowing that :
– Black bears can live up to 30 years, but usually live for only about 10, mostly because of their encounters with people.
– The sow produces few offsprings.
– Black bears are timid and do not seek confrontation with people.
– Contrary to popular belief, when confronted to human beings, black bear mothers will send their cubs up a tree, retreat or bluff and are very unlikely to attack people.
– When people leave food, trash, greasy barbecues or freezers in their reach, bears will behave like bears and be attracted by it.
We are therefore asking the Canadian Parliament to :
– Enforce existing laws which fine people who do not behave responsibly and are deliberately attracting bears because of their carelesssness.
– Increase the number of conservation officers, so regulations can be enforced on the ground.
– Help rural communities with the purchase of bear proof enclosures for the purpose of securing gargage.
– Emphasize the awareness and education of the public and residents alike through public signs, posters and flyers.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.