PLEASE HELP US SET A HEALTHY ROLE MODEL FOR OUR CHILDRENAND FOR OTHER COMMUNITIES:
We care about our kids therefore,
We don’t want them exposed to carcinogens.
We understand that the Earth, or our Biosphere, has a limited carrying capacity for waste containment and a limited supply of precious natural resources.
We understand that there are enormous losses of marine and wildlife caused by plastic products and that these toxins are already in all of us.
We know there are healthy non-toxic alternatives.
We want to model to our children how to take good care of the Earth, how not to waste natural resources, or endanger marine animals, birds, or ourselves needlessly.
We want to model being good stewards of our natural resources, because these sustain us and will sustain our children.
We understand that nature asks for nothing in return, except our willingness to respect that its carrying capacity is limited, and to learn to live within Earth’s natural limits.WE SUPPORT A BAN ON PLASTIC BAGS
1) Plastic is forever. Plastic creates toxic pollution at every stage of its existence: manufacture, use, and disposal. Plastic is a material that the Earth cannot digest. Every bit of plastic that has ever been created still exists, including the small amount that has been incinerated and has become toxic particulate matter.
2) Plastic poisons our food chain. Plastic breaks down into small micronized particles that attract toxic chemicals. These particles are ingested by wildlife on land and in the ocean, contaminating the food chain.
3) Plastic affects human health. Harmful chemicals leached by plastics are present in the bloodstream and tissues of almost every one of us, including newborns.
4) Disposable plastics are the main source of plastic pollution. Consumption of disposable plastics—bags, bottles, straws and so forth—has spiraled out of control. These items are used for seconds, hours or days, but their remains last forever.
5) Plastic recycling is not a sustainable solution to the crisis. Most of our plastic waste is landfilled, down-cycled, incinerated or exported to other countries. Recycling, or what is called down-cycling of plastic is costly and does not stem the production of virgin plastic product. Recycling is not a cure for toxic plastic debris, it is only a bandaid on the problem. Even if everyone was scrupulous about recycling, it is not cost-effective when you consider the high cost of its negative affect on the environment.
6) Plastic pollution is not only in the ocean. The amount of plastic pollution in the ocean is expanding at a catastrophic rate, but there are similar concentrations of plastic in the desert, in every community around the world, in our homes and in us.
WE SUPPORT A REQUIREMENT THAT“BIODEGRADABLE” BAGS MEET A HEALTHY STANDARD.
“Bioplastics or biodegradeable” plastics can still be toxic unless properly designed. Regulation by communities encourages companies to meet a healthy standard.If properly designed, biodegradable plastics have thepotential to become a much preferable alternative to conventional plastics.Healthy Bioplastics on Mercer Island:
Made from non-GMO starch potatoes, or tapioca root, instead of corn, a much less efficient source of starch.Certified as compostable and biodegradable.Free of polyethylene and plasticizers.