Petition to: Hon Annette King, Minister of Transport & Minister of Police; and Hon Harry Duynhoven, Minister of Road Safety, Parliament Buildings, Wellington, New Zealand
Recent cyclist fatalities in New Zealand have shown that we need better infrastructure and behaviour on our roads.
I support the Cycling Advocates\' Network (CAN) 9-Point Plan for Cycle Safety.
I want to see New Zealand\'s national and local government do the following things in the next two years:
1. Run a national Share the Road promotional campaign telling motorists and cyclists how to co-exist safely on the roads.
2. Change transport planning and funding processes to make sure key problem areas or gaps for cyclists (e.g. Ngauranga to Petone cycleway, Auckland Harbour Bridge) get fixed - no more long delays or buck-passing between various organisations.
3. Spend less on road building and more on encouraging alternatives to driving: more motor vehicles on our roads only make things less safe and attractive for cycling.
4. Promote the use of lower speed zones (particularly 30km/h).
5. Change the tolerance for motor vehicle speed limit enforcement from 10km/h to a maximum of ten per cent of the posted speed limit.
6. Increase the walking and cycling budget in the National Land Transport Programme by a factor of five.
7. Change funding and audit processes to make sure that all roading projects improve the environment for cycling.
8. Change the driver licensing system and driver instruction (including bus and truck drivers) so motorists are educated about how to take care around cyclists.
9. Fund and promote nationwide roll-out of cycle skills training for children and adults.
[Note: After you click on the \'Sign\' button ipetitions will ask you to make a voluntary donation to them. Your signature will have already been recorded, and you do NOT need to donate for it to count. Just quit from the donations page if you don\'t wish to donate.]
Petition initiated by the Cycling Advocates\' Network of New Zealand (CAN).
CAN is New Zealand\'s national network of cycling advocates. We work with government and local authorities on behalf of cyclists, for a better cycling environment.
Find out more about CAN\'s campaign around its 9-Point Plan for Cycle Safety at:
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.