Concerns Regarding the North San Jose Development Plan
As residents of North San Jose, we are concerned regarding the plans to redevelop the area into high-density commercial and residential. We feel that certain key components of highly-desirable communities are not addressed by the ad-hoc planning currently occurring, and that the long-term viability of North San Jose is at risk before development has even begun.
Traffic and Access
* The proposed 3,900 new units translates to approx. 24,000 more daily trips on our roads.
* San Jose has lowered the acceptable Level Of Service standard to E/F (failing) for nearby intersections. This is lower than their normal standards allow!
-> Traffic must be limited on side streets like River Oaks Parkway.
-> An updated comprehensive Environmental Impact Report is necessary to guarantee future needs are met.
* Thousands of residents currently living in the North San Jose area have no local access to a school. This forces many young families to move out as their children grow up.
* The projected increase in population is 50,000 but San Jose currently has no plans to add additional schools. This is unacceptable.
-> We demand adequate local schools for the projected population.
Parks and Open Space
* The current parkland (none) is insufficient for current population, but 20 acres of parkland was promised when River Oaks Village was built.
* Any new development will require additional parkland.
-> 20 new acres are required now for the current residents.
-> New allocations are required for any future developments.
Height and Density Buffers
* The interface between existing developments and new structures needs to take into account the existing community aesthetic. Would you want to live next to an 11 story building
-> Density and height buffers need to be placed around the lower density communities.
Trees and Beautification
* Trees unify our neighborhood visually and promotes a highly walkable public pedestrian route.
-> San Jose strongly prohibits removal of existing trees. Any new developments should preserve these trees as part of our community heritage
* The few existing commercial strips are insufficient for the current population.
-> A large increase in population demands a well thought out retail development plan.
The current proposals are poorly planned, and not designed for the long term sustainability of the area. Ad-hoc hodgepodge development can ruin our wonderful community!
To join our email list and for more information:
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
Email list and other North San Jose redevelopement information http://groups.yahoo.com/group/northsanjose/ \"Vision North San Jose\" http://www.sanjoseca.gov/planning/nsj/ River Oaks Community website http://riveroaks.jmarlowe.com San Jose Department of Planning, Building & Code Enforcement http://www.sanjoseca.gov/planning/
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.