WE, THE UNDERSIGNED, feel that the proposed 20 cent tax on plastic bags in Pullman:
- Will hurt less affluent residents since food and energy prices are already skyrocketing
- Will create a costly new bureaucracy to collect the tax that will be need to be funded with taxpayer dollars
- Will harm local business and sales tax base by sending customers shopping outside of town
- Will take away consumer choice
- Will actually increase the amount of petroleum-based plastic resin in the environment as consumers purchase heavier plastic bags to replace disposable plastic bags made from natural gas
- Will encourage the use of free paper bags, which are worse for the environment than plastic bags, because paper bags require more energy and create more greenhouse emissions to manufacture, ship and recycle, generate more air and water pollution and take up more space in landfills.
THEREFORE, we oppose any such tax being implemented by the City Council.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.