WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO...
* sign the online petition (at the bottom of this page)
* tell other people how to get here: www.nonightflights.info
* follow some of the links on this page to find out more about what's happening, and how you could help.
For more background, news and opinion visit: www.nonightflights.info
IN A NUTSHELL... Manston Airport is owned by Infratil, a New Zealand-based multi-national. Their long-standing 'S106' agreement with Thanet District Council (TDC) bans all scheduled night flights in the 8 hours between 11pm and 7am.
Infratil now want to change that, and have sent TDC a formal request to change their operating conditions. The two key parts of the request are:
1. to lengthen the flying "day" by 90 minutes, allowing more time for scheduled flights;
2. to allow night flights within certain noise limits. These limits would allow a Boeing 747-400 (one of the largest freight planes we currently get) to take off and land throughout the night. This is more than is allowed at Heathrow.
Taken together these would effectively allow 24 hour arrivals and departures of the noisiest freight aircraft we currently get, although this is not how it's being presented by the Council, the airport or the media. They'll be able to fly everything they fly now, but 24 hours a day.
The noise from any flights in the 8 hours between 11pm and 7am is far more intrusive and disruptive than at any other time of day. Night flights would reduce the quality of life for everyone within earshot of the flightpath.
Scheduled night flights are already banned at Manston - let's keep it that way.
If you value your sleep...
If you don't want your kids woken by planes...
If you don't want to start your day with an 'alarm call' from a 747...
If you don't want night flights between 11pm and 7am (excluding emergency flights, of course)...
... then please sign this petition. (One signature per email address.)
"We, the undersigned, object to any night flights (11pm to 7am) into or out of Manston."