KEEP WALMART OUT OF LOGAN SQUARE
- Community Impact - Due to the lack of affordable healthcare for Walmart employees, the significant costs are passed on to the state and communities where it operates. At the same time, Walmart sends much of its revenue dollars out of local communities, thereby killing local business. A Walmart in Logan Square would mean that smaller businesses would be forced to lower wages and standards, destroying our community.
- The Environment -Walmart Supercenters contribute to sprawl and pollution. Walmart has repeatedly violated environmental laws including being under investigation regarding hazardous waste disposal.
- Employee Benefits - Since the benefits are priced so high, Walmart has more employees on public healthcare than any other employer in almost all cases.
- Employee Wages - Walmart workers earn an estimated 12.4 percent less than retail workers as a whole, and 14.5 percent less than workers in large retail in general.
- Employee Workplace Conditions - Walmart creates a global system that keeps workers in poverty, working in dangerous conditions and without representation. For example, there is currently a class-action law suit on behalf of hundreds of thousands of female Walmart employees, charging the company with engaging in a pattern and practice of pay and promotion discrimination.
- Last Year, Walmart said to expect “several dozen stores across the city over the next five years.”
- In Mid-March, it was revealed that there were talks about a Walmart opening in the East Lakeview neighborhood. Recently, some East Lakeview locals are protecting their neighborhood by creating petitions, by publicizing their feelings through social media and by throwing events such as a free film screening of the documentary
- we learned that a Logan Square alderman was approached by Walmart about the opening a Walmart in Logan Square.
Please, tell your elected officials to STOP WALMART from moving into your community, TODAY.
No comments yet.join the discussion
james wilson, United States3 years ago Zip Code: 60647
Comments: Wal Mart is an anti-union whore
What negative impact do you feel a Walmart in Logan Square would have on the community?: destruction of small businesses
Dalila Munoz, United States3 years ago Zip Code: 60618
Comments: Please - NO MORE WALMARTS IN CHICAGO!
What negative impact do you feel a Walmart in Logan Square would have on the community?: It will be the main contributing factor for the closing of many of the long standing "mom and pop" shops in Logan Square.
Amy Barnhart, United States3 years ago Zip Code: 60647
What negative impact do you feel a Walmart in Logan Square would have on the community?: It would put the multitude of locally-owned corner stores out of business.
There are no highlights yet.