No to proposed outsourcing of the World Bank's gym
We understand that GSD Group of the World Bank is conducting an analysis of the cost effectiveness of managing the World Bank Fitness Center by in-house staff vs outsourcing it to an outside service provider. While on a surface it might emerge that outsourcing is a more cost effective option, we strongly feel that it would compromise the quality of the service the Fitness Center currently provides.
What separates the WB
Fitness Center from other commercial gyms is the following:
- Diverse highly professional dedicated staff that genuinely care about its clients - World Bank Employees.They have an intimate understanding of the special needs of Bank staff (frequent travel, work life balance, etc) grown over the many years of building relationships with the members.
- Fitness Center offers over 70 classes a week during different times of the day. 70% of classes are taught by the World Bank volunteers, 25% of classes are taught by Fitness Center staff and only 5% of classes are taught by outside instructors. The fact that the volunteers and fitness staff teach 95 % of the classes is, not only a huge savings for the program, but is a critical part of its success. In fact, classes run very smoothly and almost never are cancelled.
- The quality of the classes is exceptionally high given the deep understanding of member needs, as volunteer instructors are supported by the knowledge-sharing and on-the-job training provided by the Fitness Center staff.
- Ability to be innovative and start initiatives that benefit the whole institution:Back to Life- Wellness Program for Cancer Patients and Survivors at theWB,Fit on the Trip-offersexercises that can be done while traveling,Healthy Heart-focusingon cardiovascular health ofWBemployees
- Safe friendly environment that takes into account cultural diversity. The fact that there has not been a single incident of reported harassment or discrimination in 20 years, speaks volumes.
- Small turn-over of Fitness staff which allows for continuity and really getting to know the clients and serving them in the most tailored and effective way.
-Lastly, the personal relationships of Fitness Center staff with volunteers and members has allowed them to create a community that is committed to each other in the spirit of a "family" which provides a daily sanctuary for many members.
We, the undersigned, appeal to Jim Kim, the President of the World Bank, to reconsider outsourcing of the World Bank's Fitness Center to the outside service provider and allow the current Fitness Center team to continue providing their excellent service to the World Bank's employees.
- February 20
- We are now live! show more
Is there a cause you really care about? Start a free petition like this one and make a real difference.
2 years email@example.com United States2 years ago
3 years agoGeethanjali Jagannathan3 years ago
3 years agoAdriana3 years ago
3 years agoGernot Brodnig3 years ago
3 years agoFarzin Mirmotahari3 years ago
3 years agoMarie Khoury3 years ago
3 years agoJyoti Bisbey3 years ago
3 years agoSarah Babirye3 years ago
3 years agoHanifa Monawer3 years ago
3 years agorita ahiboh3 years ago
3 years agoEva Ngegba3 years ago
3 years agoGaby Falconi3 years ago
3 years agoLynn Thornton3 years ago
3 years agoSibiri Sawadogo3 years ago
3 years agoMarie Claudine Fundi3 years ago