Resolved, We, medical students, faculty, physicians, and community members of Indiana
(1) recognize as is definitively stated by the American Medical Association's June 2011 policy H-65.973 Health Care Disparities in Same-Sex Partner Households, that denying civil union or marriage based on sexual orientation is discriminatory and imposes harmful stigma on gay and lesbian individuals and couples and families;
(2) recognize that exclusion from civil union or marriage contributes to health care disparities affecting same-sex households;
(3) will work to reduce health care disparities among members of same-sex households, including minor children;
(4) will support measures providing same-sex households with the same rights and privileges to health care, health insurance, and survivor benefits, as afforded opposite-sex households; and
(5) will, therefore, in the interest of optimal public health outcomes, oppose legislation that writes discrimination into our state constitution.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.