Syrian is Bleeding, A call for Action
As the second year of the Syrian Revolution comes to an end, the Syrian people continue to struggle against one of the most oppressive regimes in contemporary times. The ruthless and reckless violence employed by the Assad regime has forced peaceful protesters to take up arms to topple the autocratic regime which has been ruling the country for more than 40 years. To date, the conflict has harvested the lives of no less than 90,000 people. Around 5 million people have been driven out from their homes fleeing the violence either becoming refugees in neighboring countries or internally displaced to other districts and cities within Syria. Hundreds of thousands of detainees are subjected to systematic torture and very dire conditions. The humanitarian situation is disastrous and the country’s infrastructure has been rendered to ruins at the hands of its very government. The international community has so far failed tofulfillits duties towards the Syrian people who have been slaughtered day in day out over the past two years, let alone the past 40 years, as international actors stood as mere spectators. We believe this needs to change.
Hence, we, the undersigned, call upon the United Kingdom Government to support the Syrian people using all possible political, diplomatic and economic means to support the Syrian people andfulfillthe following:
1. Isolate the Syrian regime on the international scene and only engage in political dialogue with representatives of the Syrian regime on the conditions of a power transfer back to the Syrian people and on the dismantle of the security and police state apparatus.
2. force the Assad regime to provide safe humanitarian corridors to besieged areas by means of a binding Security Council resolution
3. protect Syria’s unity and the territorial integrity of Syria against any separatist or divisive attempts.
4. recognize the Syrian people’s right to self-defenseincluding armed resistance
5. use all possible means including Security Council resolutions to stop arms supplies from reaching the Syrian regime 6. help Syrian refugees meet their basic needs and support neighboring host countries in fulfilling their commitments duly
Is there a cause you really care about? Start a free petition like this one and make a real difference.
3 years agoKiarash Alimi Iran, Islamic Republic of3 years ago