We the undersigned petition Brighton & Hove City Council and its leaders as the rights of the Skateboard, BMX and inline skate community at the Level Skatepark are once again being pushed to one side.
We fully support the proposals to move the skatepark out of the southern half (current location) for the following reasons;
1) A new space fit for purpose to both skate/ride and members of the community to view
2) More open in the new space with a “fresh feel”
3) More options to hold events surrounding the skate park with scope for event infrastructure
4) Better use of space for all allowing shared use and more sense of community
5) Not squashed-in as an afterthought – but providing a space to allow the skate/BMX/inline community to grow and show the benefits of this athletic facility to the wider community
6) Gives the opportunity to allow school/youth groups to experience a real skate facility with adequate space for practise in safety
7) Gives better opportunity for realistic crowd management when the facility becomes busy at peak times
8) Allow a skatepark fit for a city
We consider that if the skatepark remains in its current location (a smaller footprint – reduced in size by 25% in an overcrowded area) that due to overcrowding/safety issues the park will not be “fit for purpose”.
We petition Brighton & Hove City Council to listen and take immediate action from the conclusive results from their own 2009 consultation stating the majority of park users want the skatepark out of the southern end. We demand the council stop wasting council tax payer’s money by allowing further delays and build the skate park that was promised now.
We do not wish to be squashed into the southern half (current location but smaller footprint) but petition the council to allow the development in the southern half of the northern quarter without delay.